Thursday, January 05, 2006

I should have been a cowboy

During his 2004 deployment to Iraq Lcpl Tyler started listening to Country/Western music. I listened to a few of his CDs and really liked what I heard, now I'm a C/W music fan. The funny thing is that I had not listened to anything other than Christian music for about 8 years, but C/W music sparked something inside me, reminding me of good music from the past.....James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, The Band, Van Morrison, and many others. What I liked about that old music, and what I like about C/W music is that it tells a story. I love songs that have nice melodies, well played (and non distorted) instruments, and tell stories.

But the other thing I like about C/W music is that many songs speak of God and how He plays a part in the singers life. It seems to me that any song worth singing should be aimed at God and be pleasing to Him.

Now I know that not all C/W music is aimed at God, and frankly, much of it is just about "good times", but that's the way it is in life, some good and some bad. To quote Brooks and Dunn, "I've learned the path to heaven is full of sinners and believers", and so it is with music.

For now C/W music is pleasing to me and I thank God for that

2 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back Geoff. Glad that you took some time off to enjoy the holidays.

Do you mean there is other music besides country? :)

Hope you and your family have a wonderful new year!

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear your "voice" again! I've missed your blog but I understand your need for a break :o) God Bless you in the New Year... and I look forward to hearing more from you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home