Friday, October 21, 2005

I'm wondering about something

Sometimes things happen, insignificant things, that get me wondering about how other people operate. For instance.............This morning at 6:55 I walk up to my local Starbucks and there is a line of people, up to and out the door, waiting to order their drinks. I have stood in that line many times wondering who the Bozo was that designed that particular Starbucks, where there is plenty of space in the store but seemingly nowhere for the line to go but out the door...... but that's not what I was wondering today. Today, when it came to my turn to stand in the door blocking the way in and out, I took two steps sideways, into a small seating area around the side of the counter, making room for 5 or 6 more people to get inside, then watched in amazement as everyone behind me simply stood in the doorway It was as though they thought that if they moved to where I was they would lose their place in line.

I can only imagine what the other people in that line were thinking or not thinking. Perhaps in their minds the old adage "the shortest way from point A to point B is a straight line" is so set in their minds they can't imagine a line that wraps around the counter. Maybe they are simply afraid to do something other than what everyone else is doing. Or maybe it's as simple as their brain does not kick into gear until the caffeine enters their system.

So here's what I am asking readers to do..........try to imagine the situation and tell me what a person standing in the doorway is thinking as the line out the door lengthens and people maneuver past trying to exit the building..........

A) They are not thinking at all
B) "I'm in the door and that's all that matters"
C) "There is nothing but a straight line between me and a cup of coffee"..........so they aren't
moving any direction but forward.

or
D) anything other than I've imagined

4 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geoff,
I'm not sure this is worth contemplating at 6:55 in the morning. Just keep moving toward the caffeine buddy. If you ALREADY had the caffeine, this may not have bothered you. huh? Sounds like with that many people someone was always going to be in the way no matter what. All of your answers are good. It could be any one of those or a combination. Anyway, cute post. It made me chuckle.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger senorlechero said...

Anon.........I know you are right, but the problem is that I hadn't had my cup of starbucks yet (by the way, did you know that the BOLD flavored coffees have less caffeine?)

And another thing..............they tell me that they are getting rid of the Hazelnut Sticky Buns. That's completely unacceptable.

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I didn't know that. I've never even been to a Starbucks. :)
I'm a Pepsi person myself. I know all about that little caffeine fix in the morning. Everyone knows to steer clear of me before I've had it. Cheerful morning people bug the crap out of me!

LOL. Good luck with your Hazelnut Sticky Buns! They wouldn't dare! :)

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I AM a Starbucks drinker (but not a "daily drinker") LOL... it is a special "treat" for me... but I know what you are talking about... and I have concluded that people simply are NOT thinking at all... they are like cows heading into a pasture (or slaughter for that matter)... just following the herd in front of them. : ) And I think the fact that they HAVEN'T had their cup of JOE yet speaks for itself... many people CAN'T think until the get their "fix" LOL!! Your post made me laugh... as I tried to picture you standing there contemplating this situation!! : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home