Thursday, August 11, 2005

What's going on in Mosul

So many of us want to know what our soldiers, sailors and marines are doing in Iraq. Far and away the best reporting on the subject is being done by Michael Yon (check his website here). Michael is ex military and currently in Iraq as an independent journalist. He is very knowledgable in every aspect of the war, but specifically writes about "Duece Four" (1st battalion 24th infantry regiment), an Army Stryker brigade group based in Mosul.

I check Michael's site every few days for a new dispatch. His latest had me glued to the computer as though I was reading the climax paragraph's of Clancy novel. Read it here and decide for yourself. He leaves us hanging as the brigade goes into action.................so right now I'm checking his site every day just to see what happens. You don't suppose he did that to increase his "hits" do you? Nah......I didn't think so.

4 Comments:

At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geoff, I always appreciate the insight you have on things.

And Yes!! I agree with you about Michael Von's site. Main steam media sure doesn't provide this kind of reporting!! Michael Von gives you such a clear picture of what is REALLY going on over there and the obstacles our armed forces are facing. It causes me to pray even more for all the amazing men and women in harms way, risking their lives to fight for our freedoms and the freedom of the Iraqi people.

Thanks for your post. It is GREAT to hear your voice again!!! God Bless you.

 
At 5:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had already read this latest post by Michael Yon. Had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Fascinating. Great writing. Also liked his touch of humor..."Isn't all that sh** hot?...Not really". :) Funny and scary at the same time, as those are real bombs and bullets he describes. To only have a camera to shoot with does not provide much protection. If I were him, I'd be glued to some soldier's butt! Shadowing so close he wouldn't even know I was there! :) Like you, I can't wait to see what happens!

P.S. Good morning Sandy! :) You beat me.

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also visit Michael Yon's website regularly. He is an honest reporter and, despite his characterization of himself as a coward, is far braver than most of the MSM reporters who never leave the hotel in Baghdad. Not only do I appreciate his candid reports of reality in Iraq, but I love his self-deprecating humor. He's a treasure.

And kudos to you, Geoff, for mentioning him!

Laura

PS: Michael was able to get that new camera he needed!

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Geoff - I've been lurking on your blog for quite a while now. Can't remember how I got here, but probably through Blackfive. I lived in El Cajon '69-'73, on Lily Avenue. My kids went to Greenfield Jr. Hi & Granite Hills High School, I worked at Avocado Elem.

I, too, read Mike Yon's dispatches & enjoy them. I think he's performing an invaluable service to us all. Keep posting! Katy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home